News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• April 27, 2024, 09:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Morris was a plane trip away from Clemson return  (Read 2157 times)

Offline ClemsonTiger

• Administrator
    • The Tiger Fan Forum
Morris was a plane trip away from Clemson return
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Morris was a plane trip away from Clemson return
By: Brandon Rink, orange and white

How close was Chad Morris sticking around? In his own words, one plane trip away, the night before his introductory press conference.

In that week's timeline, a deal with SMU was reported to be in the works the Thursday before the South Carolina game.

By Sunday a.m., confirmation had emerged he accepted SMU’s offer. But like any job move he’s made, Morris says his ties to TigerTown were almost too tough to overcome.

“Every job I’ve ever left I’ve been torn apart,” Morris told Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman recently. “Is this the right move? It’s always been the right move. Same way here, I was so torn apart that Sunday night before my Monday press conference, I could have had a plane here from Clemson, sitting right here from a phonecall to be in Clemson. Call here Monday morning and say I’m not going to take that job. From the president to the AD – that option was there.

“They knew when I left out of there that Sunday how emotional I was. They’ve been wonderful wishing me the best. Knowing that everywhere I’ve ever left I’ve left in a great situation. Left it welcome to come back. It’s part of your life and I’m not going to regret any of it. I’m going to hit the ground running.”

Morris arrived in Clemson January 2011, taking over a group that finished 86th in scoring and 88th in total offense (10th in ACC) in a 6-7 campaign. Now, the task is taller, assuming a one-win Mustangs squad. The message will be similar, however.

“I told our guys at Clemson, ‘If your way worked, I wouldn’t be in front of you,’” Morris recalled. “’I’ve got something to offer and we as a staff are going to do this and it’s going to be fun and we’re going to enjoy the journey and it’s going to be hard. That’s what you do.’”

Asked how difficult it is to watch his prize recruit Deshaun Watson’s progression from the sidelines, Morris said their relationship is still strong, but it will be tough.

"Once you meet him he just clings to your heart,” Morris said. “His story. Yes it was tough, almost to the point where you don’t take the job because of one kid type of deal. But prior to Deshaun, it was Tajh. Prior to Tajh, it was G.J. Kinne. Prior to G.J. Kinne, it was Michael Brewer. Prior to him, it was Garrett Gilbert. The one thing I found is maybe that’s just who I am.

“Maybe there will always be that type of relationship in your life. It doesn’t mean we sever our relationship. It just means I am not going to coach him. He and I still communicate. We text, call and talk all the time. So we got a great relationship. That's not going to change. Just the fact of me (not) coaching him is tough.

“To watch someone else coach him and reap the benefit of getting him there, that's tough. You always want what is best for Clemson, and Coach Swinney has done a great job with that program."

Morris says Watson’s biggest attribute is how easy the game comes to him.

“He is so smooth,” Morris said. “He is a kid that sees it before it happens…There’s always something to learn, but his game – his ability, he sees things before they happen.”

Asked later about Tajh Boyd’s pro career, Morris is holding out hope that he can catch on at the next-level (currently a free agent after stints with the New York Jets and FXFL).

“I am (surprised),” Morris said. “He may have a shot. I think he’ll probably have a chance to get on somebody’s practice squad. I’m hoping.”

For the original article click Here

Offline Pawsome06

• Alumni
  • C-L-E-M-S-O-N
Re: Morris was a plane trip away from Clemson return
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
Actually surprised he left, but after that beatdown during the Russell Athletic Bowl, I think we will be just fine.