News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• March 28, 2024, 04:56:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Bills tried to trade up to No. 1, still landed Sammy Watkins at No. 4  (Read 3026 times)

Offline ClemsonTiger

• Administrator
    • The Tiger Fan Forum
Bills tried to trade up to No. 1, still landed Sammy Watkins at No. 4

If the first-biggest development in the 2014 NFL Draft was the Jaguars taking quarterback Blake Bortles third overall, the second-biggest development came a pick later, when the Bills traded up from No. 9 to grab wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

This behind-the-scenes video on BuffaloBills.com explains exactly how it all came together, along with the revelation that the Bills actually tried to move up to the top spot in the draft.

"We went with Houston right off the bat," said Jim Monos, the Bills director of player personnel. "We tried to go to No. 1 and they weren't having it, they knew who they wanted, so we started working our way right down."

But before the Texans made it official and drafted Jadeveon Clowney, the phone rang in the Bills' war room and it's the Browns, who have the No. 4 pick.

Bills general manager Doug Whaley explains: "[Cleveland general manager] Ray [Farmer] asks me, 'Are you still interested and if you are, here are the specifics of what we would request to make sure we get fair value for you guys moving up. I took the notes down, I said we'd get back to you, we obviously have to make sure our guy is there and as the pick gets closer to your pick we'll be back in touch."

Meanwhile, the Rams take Greg Robinson second overall.

Next up: The Jags.

Monos said the Bills "really didn't know" who Jacksonville would target with the No. 3 pick. "We had just heard so much ... that they needed a receiver we thought that this was going to be Sammy. We knew that if Jacksonville didn't take him we had a shot."

The Jags took Bortles.

"At that point," Bills general manager Doug Whaley explained, "I got on the phone and called [the Browns], came back with another counteroffer, and [Browns GM Ray Farmer] said 'I'll call you back.' The [clock] starts ticking and you're excited, you're anxious, you know it's very close. And they called us back, came with another counteroffer, we countered that, and [Farmer] said 'let me think about it' -- and then he said 'hold on, I got another call.'

"That's when the whole room got silent and there was a pause. ...

"Thirty seconds later, he called back and said, 'Let's go over the deal again, we made sure of the specifics, he repeated it, I repeated it ... and then we sent it into the league," Whaley said.

"Now I have to get Sammy on the phone. ... There was a lot of commotion just because he was in New York but, yeah, he was ecstatic and it was just something you'd never thought would come to fruition."

The video also shows how the Bills ended up with tackle Cyrus Kouandjio in Round 2 and linebacker Preston Brown in Round 3.

"You know, you look at your haul with those three picks ... coming out of that you felt really excited," Manos said. "Our philosophy: Your first three rounds are starters or considerable contributors and we feel like we got those."

Click Here for the original article

Offline 81Champions

• 1981 National Champions!
Thats freakin crazy. I wish Sammy would have gone first! Could play that against the damn coots!
C-L-E-M-S-OOO-N!

Offline bchtiger328

• Alumni
  • Tiger Alum, IPTAY REP, season tix holder, ORANGE!
That would've been awesome if the Bills had pulled that off. I would've loved to see Sammy had gone number #1 as I believe as most fans around country that he is the most talented all around player in the draft.
"Carolina is in Chapel Hill, USC is in California, and The University in this state always has been and always will be Clemson." Coach Dabo Swinney