News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• March 28, 2024, 04:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Clemson recruiting class ranks among nation's best  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Clemson Girl

• Global Moderator
Clemson recruiting class ranks among nation's best
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:11:52 AM »
Clemson recruiting class ranks among nation's best
Michael Burns, The Greenville News 1:10 a.m. EDT May 16, 2014

The commitments of four-star offensive lineman Zach Giella and four-star defensive lineman Sterling Johnson have made for a big week for Clemson football – pushing the Tigers' 2015 recruiting class to No. 5 in the nation according to ESPN – and the week isn't over.

Tight end could make surprising choice of Clemson

Juwuan Briscoe, a relatively unheralded prospect from Thomas Stone High School in Waldorf, Md., is visiting Clemson for the first time Saturday after picking up a scholarship offer from the Tigers a couple of weeks ago.

"Saturday will be the first but not the last," he said.

West Virginia, N.C. State and Maryland have offered him since Clemson. He plans to announce a commitment to Clemson, Maryland, Rutgers or West Virginia within days.

The 6-foot, 185-pounder rushed for over 1,000 yards last season, but he's expected to play cornerback in college. He made 38 tackles and grabbed two interceptions last year on defense. He has been timed at 4.43 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

He's recruited at Clemson by defensive backs coach and fellow mid-Atlantic native Mike Reed.

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris, meanwhile, led a typical staff-wide effort in landing Augusta (Ga.) Christian School's Giella (6-6, 295).

Giella is ranked the No. 28 offensive tackle in the nation, and he joins a class that has the nation's No. 2, No. 7 and No. 16 tackles in Mitch Hyatt, Jake Fruhmorgen and Noah Green, respectively. Hyatt, a rising senior at North Gwinnett (Ga.) High, is a five-star prospect ranked No. 7 overall in the nation.

Giella had considered LSU his favorite, but he changed his thinking as he considered the distance to Baton Rouge, La. LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Georgia Tech, Michigan and Wisconsin have been among his offers.

"What happened with LSU was just the distance," Giella said. "It's 10 hours (driving time) – a long way. I know that if I went out there and played I wouldn't be able to see my family as much as I'd like to. And I feel like I wasn''t high enough on their board, I guess. Clemson has just been recruiting me really hard – the offensive coordinator, the offensive line coach, and Coach Swinney told me today that he loves me as a player and that he loves my versatility and what I will be able to bring to Clemson.

"It seems like they really want me there at Clemson, and that's a great feeling, knowing that I want to go somewhere that they also want me."

Johnson (6-5, 280) gives Clemson the nation's No. 11 defensive tackle, a position where Clemson is in the running for several other highly ranked prospects. Johnson had planned to commit to Tennessee, but Volunteers coaches wanted to wait before accepting his pledge.

He was named his high school team's defensive Most Valuable Player after recording seven sacks and about 80 tackles last season.

Not counting grayshirt commitments from the 2014 recruiting class who are expected to enroll in 2015, Clemson has 13 committed for the 2015 recruiting class. Every major recruiting service ranks the group among the top six in the nation. The Tigers are expected to sign about 25 in all.

Follow Michael Burns on Twitter @curecruiting

2015 Clemson commitments

- Shadell Bell (6-3, 185), WR, Columbia High (Ga.)

- Kelly Bryant (6-4, 205), QB, Wren High

- Gage Cervenka (6-3, 275), DT, Emerald High

- Kaleb Chalmers (5-11, 175), CB, Greenwood High

- Jake Fruhmorgen (6-5, 275), OT, Plant High (Fla.)

- Zach Giella (6-6, 295), OL, Augusta Christian (Ga.)

- Noah Green (6-5, 283), OL, Boiling Springs High

- Mitch Hyatt (6-6, 270), OT, North Gwinett High (Ga.)

- Tucker Israel (6-0, 190), QB, Lake Nona High (Fla.)

- Sterling Johnson (6-5, 280), DT, Cleveland High (N.C.)

- Tanner Muse (6-3, 205), S, South Point High (N.C.)

- Chad Smith (6-3, 215), OLB, Dominion High (Va.)

- Van Smith (6-1, 180), ATH, West Mecklenburg High (N.C.)

Click Here for the original article
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:15:02 AM by ClemsonTiger »

Offline TigerFanatic12

• Tiger Kitten
Re: Clemson recruiting class ranks among nation's best
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Damn straight. I really do hope that we have another run at a National title again. Get the SEC and Bama off the high horse.

Offline bchtiger328

• Alumni
  • Tiger Alum, IPTAY REP, season tix holder, ORANGE!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »
Up to #2 in Rivals now. I tell you if we can hold off the others we could end up in top 3 of all rankings when said and done. There are still many 5* players uncommitted still.
"Carolina is in Chapel Hill, USC is in California, and The University in this state always has been and always will be Clemson." Coach Dabo Swinney

Offline TKE2005

• TKE Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Yeah I saw that we reached #2! I think the reason we are not #1 is because Bama has more recruits?

Offline bchtiger328

• Alumni
  • Tiger Alum, IPTAY REP, season tix holder, ORANGE!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:13:02 AM »
If we can get one or more 5* stars along with some of the 4* stars we are targeting we could jump up even higher. I saw where A&M leapfrogged us in ESecPN ranking with them having two 5* stars currently verbally committed (also only team to have that).
"Carolina is in Chapel Hill, USC is in California, and The University in this state always has been and always will be Clemson." Coach Dabo Swinney