News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• March 28, 2024, 06:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Lakip will have to ‘start over’  (Read 2075 times)

Offline ClemsonTiger

• Administrator
    • The Tiger Fan Forum
Lakip will have to ‘start over’
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Lakip gets a second chance

By: Scott Keepfer, greenvillenewssc.com

PINEHURST, N.C. — Clemson University football coach Dabo Swinney said Tuesday that placekicker Ammon Lakip could rejoin the team two weeks into fall practice, but will “definitely” miss some games.

Lakip was suspended indefinitely after being arrested and charged with DUI and cocaine possession on June 6.

“I’ve already made a decision on Lakip,” Swinney said during the ACC Football Kickoff at the Pinehurst Resort. “I just hadn’t shared it to the full extent, other than with Ammon.He’ll have a chance to rejoin us when school starts Aug. 19. That will be the first opportunity that he’ll have a chance to come back.”

Lakip, a rising senior, was the team’s leading scorer last season, totaling 106 points on 21 of 28 field goals and 43 of 44 PATs.

“The ball’s kind of in his court at this point,” Swinney said. “He’ll definitely miss some time. That’s one of the reasons I didn’t want him in camp. It needs to be about the guys who are going to have a chance to be our starter. Then, if he does everything that he’s required to do, he’ll get another opportunity to rejoin our team, but he’s going to have to startover.”

Swinney said that Lakip’s arrest was embarrassing, but that he’s deserving of a second chance.

“It’s very disappointing when you have a player that embarrasses himself and your program, or more importantly, just does something stupid,” Swinney said. “But Ammon is a good young man. I’ve never had a problem with him. That’s the biggest reason why he’s getting an opportunity to learn and grow from this.

“He’s definitely going to miss some games. How many, we’ll talk about later.”

»Next year, the Atlantic Coast Conference will stretch across the Atlantic Ocean.

Georgia Tech and BostonCollege have agreed to play a conference game in Ireland. The cross-divisional foes will open the 2016 season in Dublin’s Aviva Stadium.

Clemson University coach Dabo Swinney said he would eagerly accept an invitation to take his Tigers to Europe.

“Shoot yeah, man. What are you talking about?” Swinney exclaimed Wednesday during the ACC Kickoff.

Swinney said he teases Clemson coach Brad Brownell about the annual holiday tournaments his men’s basketball team enjoys. Last season, Clemson competed in the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas.

“He gets to go to Acapulco and Turks and Caicos and them great places, and I get trips to —I better not say a town — You Name it, USA,” Swinney said with a laugh.

Clemson’s last international game was in 1991. Clemson defeated Duke in Tokyo, Japan.

“What a great experience and opportunity for your team,” Swinney said. “Shoot, man, I take my guys up to Lake Keowee every fall camp, and that’s like a huge experience.

“Some of these guys have never seen the mountains or the lake and things like that. I can only imagine what it’d be like to take your team to a place like Ireland or some other great place.”

For the original article click Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?