News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• May 04, 2024, 07:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Eighth-grader among prospects offered by Clemson  (Read 2030 times)

Offline ClemsonTiger

• Administrator
    • The Tiger Fan Forum
Eighth-grader among prospects offered by Clemson
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
Eighth-Grader Among Prospects Offered by Clemson
By: Michael Burns, The Greenville News

During the past three years, no state has produced more NFL draft picks per capita than South Carolina, according to a Scout.com study published this week, but that modifying "per capita" - signifying the number of draft picks relative to population - is the reason the Clemson football program cannot rely solely on the Palmetto State to fill its roster and compete at a championship level.

As coach Dabo Swinney has pointed out, there simply aren't enough people in South Carolina.

It hasn't been a concern, though. With players such as Sammy Watkins, C.J. Spiller and Brian Dawkins, Clemson has a long history of reaching down into Florida, the state that has produced by far the most NFL draft picks, to recruit playmakers. And Georgia, which is a few minutes drive from Clemson's campus, has been about as important to Clemson recruiting as South Carolina, and the Peach State ranks No. 4 on the drafts picks list.

Offensive coordinator Chad Morris, a former Texas high school coach, and defensive coordinator Brent Venables, a former Oklahoma defensive coordinator, meanwhile, have exerted a western influence at Clemson, leading in recent years to more scholarship offers to players in the Lone Star State, which is No. 3 and just behind No. 2 California.

Ohio ranks No. 5, and South Carolina ranks No. 6 overall, regardless of its population. The top five produced more draft picks than the rest of the 45 states combined.

Just this past week, in Florida and Texas, Clemson coaches have offered scholarships to five prospects on just two teams.

One of them, Tyreke Johnson, is an eighth-grader at Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville, Fla. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound defensive back/athlete is approaching 20 offers before he has reached high school, and he is the only known prospect in the Class of 2018 to hold an offer from Clemson.

His brother is Florida State commitment De'Andre Johnson, a quarterback in the Class of 2015. They visited Clemson together three years ago and then again last year for the Tigers' game against the Seminoles. Clemson, Florida State, LSU and Ohio State are among Tyreke's offers.

"Everywhere people know me as De'Andre's little brother, but I might like to go on my own. We'll see how it goes," Johnson told GreenvilleOnline. "Clemson has a very big chance with me. I know that when we went there they seem very family-oriented and they treat their players well."

Trinity Christian teammate Shaun Wade, a 2017 cornerback, also picked up a scholarship offer and has Clemson alongside North Carolina and Ohio State as his favorites.

Three from the Class of 2016 at Manvel High School in Texas picked up Clemson offers this week: athlete D'Eriq King, defensive back Deontay Anderson and wide receiver Reggie Hemphill. Schools from coast to coast are recruiting them.

Michigan State, UCLA and Louisville are among the offers for King, who plays quarterback in high school but is likely to switch to defensive back or receiver in college.

"Clemson is easily one of my favorites at this point," King said. "Being far from home is not a factor. I'm trying to visit this summer."

For the original article click Here

Offline Rooster

• Tiger Kitten
Re: Eighth-grader among prospects offered by Clemson
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
 ::)