News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• March 28, 2024, 10:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Jameis Winston Suspended by Florida State for First Half Against Clemson  (Read 2642 times)

Offline ClemsonTiger

• Administrator
    • The Tiger Fan Forum
Jameis Winston Suspended by Florida State for First Half Against Clemson
By: Marc Tracy, nytimes.com

Florida State said Wednesday that quarterback Jameis Winston, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, would be suspended for the first half of the top-ranked Seminoles’ home game Saturday against No. 22 Clemson after he shouted an obscene statement in the student union Tuesday.

“As a result of his comments yesterday, which were offensive and vulgar, Jameis Winston will undergo internal discipline and will be withheld from competition for the first half of the Clemson game,” Florida State’s interim president, Garnett S. Stokes, and Athletic Director Stan Wilcox said in a joint statement.

The university declined to comment further.

At a prescheduled news conference Wednesday, just after the suspension was handed down, Winston said he wanted to apologize “to the university, to my coaches and to my teammates” and called his behavior “selfish."

“I did something, so I’ve got to accept my consequences,” he said, adding, “We’re going to think about moving forward and winning the game.”

It is the latest incident involving Winston, who in late 2012 was accused of sexually assaulting a fellow student. Prosecutors declined to file charges in that case. The New York Times reported in April that the woman promptly contacted the police, but the Tallahassee Police Department conducted virtually no investigation. Earlier this month, the woman’s lawyer said Florida State had begun a disciplinary inquiry into the case.

In May, Winston acknowledged stealing $32 worth of crab legs from a supermarket.

Winston’s comments Tuesday, which were sexual in nature, played off a meme — a running gag, essentially — in which passers-by shout the phrase on live news broadcasts. The incident was first reported Tuesday by Deadspin, which collated Twitter messages of several eyewitnesses.

The comments come at a time when there is public outcry over some football players’ treatment of women, stemming primarily from the recently released video of the former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiancée in an elevator.

On Coach Jimbo Fisher’s weekly conference call Wednesday morning, before the official suspension came down, he said that Winston’s comments were “not a good decision” and that he was contemplating discipline.

For the original article click Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?