News: Welcome to the Tiger Fan Forum! Please log-in or sign-up!

• March 28, 2024, 10:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome Guest to The Tiger Fan Forum!
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to custom avatars, personalized listings, a special forum, and more. TheTigerFanForum.com is almost entirely user funded, so Premium Memberships keeps The TFF running! Registration is fast and simple, and basic membership is absolutely free! So join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us at TigerFanForum@gmail.com, and please read the Forum Policies section first.

Author Topic: Jack Leggett Likely To Return as Clemson's Baseball Coach  (Read 2972 times)

Offline ClemsonTiger

• Administrator
    • The Tiger Fan Forum
Jack Leggett Likely To Return as Clemson's Baseball Coach
« on: June 06, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
Jack Leggett likely to return as Clemson's baseball coach
By: Aaron Brenner, postandcourier.com

CLEMSON - Jack Leggett is likely to remain the head coach of Clemson baseball; under what stipulations or with which staff remains to be determined.

"The evaluation is continuing and thorough," a high-ranking spokesman within the athletic department told The Post and Courier on Friday morning.

That statement comes on the heels of Thursday night's report by The Clemson Insider that Leggett would definitively return for his 22nd season. TCI reported Leggett met with athletic director Dan Radakovich Wednesday, and the meeting was "productive."

The spokesman couldn't confirm nor deny the TCI report, though he added there will be further updates next week on the structure of the baseball program.

It would seem improbable for Leggett, six days after the conclusion of the Tigers' disappointing 36-25 season ending in an NCAA regional for the fourth consecutive year, to depart the program at this juncture. The status of assistant coaches Dan Pepicelli and Bradley LeCroy have not been addressed.

"This baseball season did not end as we all had hoped," Radakovich said in a statement Sunday. "I will be speaking with Jack in the next few days to talk about the path ahead for our program. While we again advanced to the NCAA tournament, we can and will look to do more."

Clemson's 39 NCAA tournament berths ranks fifth nationally, and Leggett stands as the fifth-winningest active Division I coach with his 1,300 career victories. He was inducted to the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame on Jan. 3, and has six College World Series appearances to his name.

"Am I fully confident that I'll be back coaching next year?" Leggett said Saturday, before a brief pause. "I'd like to tell you that's a ridiculous question. OK? I've been here for 21 years and I got a track record that's pretty good."

Doug Kingsmore Stadium is scheduled this summer for construction on a $7 million player amenities facility down the first-base line.

"We have to maintain that upward trajectory," Radakovich told The Post and Courier on May 21. "We need to make sure that we're doing what we can, administratively, to give our baseball program the opportunity to be successful."

Asked May 21 if Leggett had the administration's full support, Radakovich answered, "That's a hard thing to say. Everybody has their support. I'd love to say I'm with our coaches win, lose or tie. ... Yes, Jack's earned some things. He's put some dollars in the bank."

Leggett has two years left on his contract that pays him $400,000 per year in base and supplemental salary (before incentives). Leggett's buyout at this point is also $400,000, which would cost the athletic department one year's salary to usher in Clemson's third head coach since 1957.

For the original article click Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?